The development of application solutions in modern environments sooner or later will point up to the following dilemma: independently develop functionality or use the functionalities environment already provides. Developing application solution in ADF technology has proven to be in need for better control of session management. It seemed illogical to develop our own solution for functionality that has already been implemented in WebLogic. It was time to look into JMX.Read more ›
Although we had expected more lectures on ADF technology, we had an opportunity to hear two, in addition to ours. One of those was held by Patrik Franković from HEP SIT who compared Oracle Forms to ADF components. The other was lecture held by Oracle ACE Steve Muench who gave an overview of the most interesting features of the Oracle JDeveloper 11gR2.
The new version brings us:
- Increased productivity during the development period (Application redeploy is no longer neccessary, after BC components changes, such as attribute label change. Now it is enough to recompile and refresh browser)
- Simpler view of object query testing (query result and explain query plan are immediately visible)
- Ability to assign default values to unique keys via groovy expression (UniqueIdHelper class)
- Ability to create custom LOV
- Ability to group attributes on the view object level upon which the attributes group in UI
- ADF object types are no longer required for Date and Number data types
- Better UI components converter, for example group can be converted to Panel StrechLayout
- Ability to embed templates
- Visual editor for skin change
We have already used some of these improvements while developing ADF KickStart application. We especially liked the ability to embed templates while we still have to test using groovy expression to assign default values to unique keys. In this way, it is not necessary to bind to the database sequences anymore.
Regarding our own lectures, we wanted to convey our knowledge and experience on how to:
- Access WebLogic settings and objects from Java classes
- Facilitate new application development with NEOS ADF KickStart application
The lectures were well attended and useful. More vivid and detailed debates as well as opportunities to network with others were limited due to the restricted lecture time.